Living With MS

Discussing all aspects of Multiple Sclerosis, various treatments, including accurate information regarding Tysabri.

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

My Tysabri Diary...,

Hi everyone,

I returned home a little while ago from my 22nd Tysabri infusion. They [ the small infusion center that I go to now]were really superduper busy, and I'm not sure why. There was a new nurse at the infusion center which decided she was going to "practice" her stabbing techniques on me when she was trying to insert the needle into my arm (where my largest veins are, on the inside of my elbow). After her third jab into my arm, I started crying as it really hurt, and screamed "Please stop!" I guess that kind of pissed her off (or embarrassed her as the some of the other patients there were watching her), but at that point, I really didn't care.

My regular infusion nurse came over and said, "It's okay Lauren, I'll get you all set up". And with one jab into my arm near my wrist, she was in, and then it was my normal infusion routine.

Everything went fine after that point, no problems. I'm going to keep this very short because I am not feeling all that well at the moment (this has nothing to do with Tysabri or the infusion). I had a slight accident yesterday when I fell out of my chair trying to pick up something off the floor, and the shinbone of my left leg landed on the foot pedal of my chair (which is really hard, like a cast-iron skillet) and it took the full force of my body weight when I landed on it. To make matters worse, I hit my head on the wall at the same time...., (I guess I should be grateful that I didn't break my kneecap).

So I'm going to have some pizza and a mudslide or two (maybe three or four) LOL, and just turn in for the night so that I can rest my leg (which is battered and bruised... you know what it's like when you get a HUGE bruise showing after about a minute following an injury)... sigh...for a split second, it reminded me of a couple of injuries I sustained when playing baseball for two different AAA baseball teams at the same time (all pre-MS symptomatology, of course - 1974 through 1975, I think?). Too bad that memory didn't last very long, oh well... such is life, I just keep moving forward, and try not to dwell on the past... I just forge on as I always do... boring, eh?

Have a great rest of the week everyone, bye for now...,

((((hugs)))) Love, Lauren :)


  • At 9:55 AM, Blogger Vic said…


    I am glad that the fall was not worse. And, I hope that the treats helped!


  • At 12:41 AM, Anonymous Kim said…


    Sorry to hear about your fall & the nasty sticks. Can you just ask for your regular infusion nurse from now on so you don't have to go through that again? I hope so. Also-I bruise very easily. Quick to ice & Arnica gel are the best bets for me. Have you used arnica?

    Take care,


  • At 3:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hi Lauren,

    Just a word to say that I am with you all the way in your Tysabri journey. These knocks are a nuisance bet they are minor, you will get over them. Im just hoping you can beat the Monster.


  • At 1:40 PM, Anonymous Keli said…

    Sorry to hear about the fall. I took a tumble down the stairs a while ago. Not sure if MS related or just clumsy ole me. Ice the leg and enjoy that Mudslide (or 3 or 4)!

  • At 6:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hope you're healed by now and are enjoying what te summer has to offer you. Your next infusion just has to be better than the last! Keep us posted on your progress and once again, am so happy you are blogging to help others with their quandries about Tysabri. Enjoyed any mud slides recently? [or do you save them for after an infusion?] In any case, my best to you!


  • At 4:48 PM, Blogger Bobbi said…

    Hi Lauren,

    Sorry to hear about your fall. I had fallen a couple of weeks ago and bruised myself pretty bad. On occasions, my walking can be a bit off...that is the only way I can describe it.

    Glad to hear that you are on your 22nd infusion and relatively had no problems. I am actually going this Friday to my 3rd infusion. Let me knock on wood, but I have had no side effects on the first two infusions...which I am grateful for...especially since it took me quite some time to go on Tysabri. Needless to say, I was quite nervous!! I was on betaseron and after 5 years of giving myself a shot every other day...I still detested doing it!! And I was still having relapses!

    Your story has given me hope and I hope that this will help me!

  • At 1:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Lauren... Tired_Teacher here from MSWorld Forums.... better known as Melissa. I am going to read your blog in the morning when my brain is functioning. I am on the east coast, so its almost 5:00 p.m. here in the Appalachian Mountains of VA. My email is I look forward to reading about your journey. I haven't read that much on Tysabri, but I will begin my research. I am a research teacher. Thanks for posting all your MS stuff!


Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home