Living With MS

Discussing all aspects of Multiple Sclerosis, various treatments, including accurate information regarding Tysabri.

Sunday, February 14, 2010





Happy Valentine's Day everyone!

I'm getting ready to have my 44th Tysabri infusion on Tuesday (have I had that many already? Whoa)..., I was having a discussion with a neurologist friend of mine who practices
out of the MS Center in Atlanta about the new and highly anticipated test that Biogen & Élan have been working on for doctors to detect the presence of the dreaded JC virus, which if it becomes activated & allowed to proliferate, can lead to the development of PML in immune compromised Tysabri patients.

This is what he told me (I have his permission to post this):

"The current "ELISA" (
Enzyme-Linked ImmunoSorbent Assay) test is not as specific to JCV as the new assay will be, howerver if antibody negative the current test will at least show those who are overall negative. The current test should be available to any physician, as is the current CD4/CD8 test. I understand both are in the neighborhood of $200. I am not sure of reimbursement, but the MS Center of Atlanta is having no problems for reimbursemnt on the CD4 test. I would expect the new assay and the Immuknow test to be available by june or so. A re-testing of anyone showing polyoma virus positive could be then done to verify JC antibodies or not. Immuknow test for ATP on the CD4 cells as a better indicator of immune competence than is currently available."

He went on to state: "I believe "ATP" is Amino Tri Phosphate, which is believed to be key to the immune response to JCV".

Here is the link to read more about the Immuknow test:

http://itl.surgery.ucsf.edu/diagnostic-services/cylex-immuknow.aspx


Here is the link to read more about the ELISA test:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ELISA

So the months of March, April, May & June should be exciting as we all wait for the new assay to be out and available for physicians to test specifically for the JC virus, woo hoo!

Have a great Valentines Day everyone...,


((((hugs))))

Love, Lauren :)

1 Comments:

  • At 2:59 PM, Blogger timikt said…

    Lauren,
    Hope you're well, and thanks for posting the info. I'm getting up there with infusions as well, and I'm doing fine but admit to getting a little nervous. Neuro thinks I'm not having any problems at all. Take care,
    Timi

     

Post a Comment

<< Home